Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

Crusader wrote:
Walsh still found the footy 20-odd times & laid 11 tackles, so the management programme is doing well. He can’t escape like he used to, so could adjust his game to drop the pill when tackled. But, that’s only minor.

I’m not going to revisit the programme that he’s certain to be on, but the difference between five days and seven ought to be obvious. Active recovery is everything.

Seven days to Filth. Seven again to Hawthorn. Watch him go off for 40.

Spare him the Perth trip & either manage or rest him again for Saints. Freshen up into a final & away we go.

i hope the rumours of his back being cooked aren't true. but it's coming from a mate of sammy's dad, so ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Fatigue ? I don't buy it . Port came off a six day break AND they had to travel ..................

me either mate. port was also on their 3rd game in 12 days. with travel.

are we really that weak, that a 5 day break, with only one day of training (weds) is the difference between winning or laying down?

also interesting that in the scheduling, we could have a 6 day break after our trip to west coast, should we play on saturday. also, also interesting in the scheduling that none of the other top 6 teams were pencilled in to play last game of the round (sunday twilight) and then back it up on a friday night.

afl scheduling is the most thoughtless, money grabbing bit of bs in all of sports. that's my hot take for the day.

We played 3 games over 14 days, but that's not the issue here. Its the 5 day break and the impact it has on players.

Adelaide to Melbourne flight is 1 hr.20....is nothing. Cats players drive an hour plus to Melbourne without an air steward to pamper to their needs, and they can get up and walk freely, stretch their legs and have a piss in that time. Don't tell Cats fans that. They may have a case.

Flying from Perth to Melbourne is the big issue in travel; more than 3 1/2 hours, and Brizzy is 2 1/2.

There's a huge difference between 5 and 6 days with recovery.

The ridiculous 5 day break the AFL brought in for Comemrcial reasons, has been a contentious discussion point between the AFLCA and AFLPA and the the AFL, and reared its ugly head big time after the Bulldogs game where StKilda completely faded in their last quarter after a 5 day turnaround. They've endured 3 i the first half, and they have been impacted badly by it.

One day extra makes a huge difference to sprains, bruising, stiffness... Nobody thinks its reasonable break between games except the AFL. The major point is the stress it has on AFL bodies...not the flight, the 5 days break. There's enough anecdotal evidence that stress on players' bodies from 5 days may be responsible for a lot of soft injuries. That's not my opinion, albeit I see why, but that's a major discussion point around the 5 day break. Plenty of discussion to refer to if you like....just look for reports of games after 5 day breaks. Rarely is it out of the spotlight.

I don't know why you wouldn't believe it. Players carry soreness 7 days after a game, and go into games sore after 7 and 8 days break. Ask Weiters next time you see him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:43 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Walsh still found the footy 20-odd times & laid 11 tackles, so the management programme is doing well. He can’t escape like he used to, so could adjust his game to drop the pill when tackled. But, that’s only minor.

I’m not going to revisit the programme that he’s certain to be on, but the difference between five days and seven ought to be obvious. Active recovery is everything.

Spare him the Perth trip & either manage or rest him again for Saints. Freshen up into a final & away we go.

i hope the rumours of his back being cooked aren't true. but it's coming from a mate of sammy's dad, so ...

I hope its not true too, but...

With mates like that who needs enemies. What a flower, if true.

If it was true, making it public is putting a target on Sammy's back, and Sammy's dad would be having words with the perpetrator if he didn't stick an apple down his gob and called him a pig.

Charlie Curnow was never going to return to football. Remember King kept saying we are destroying Cripps in the midfield, and he'll be retired by 2020. 2 years running, Walsh would never return, or looked like he moved like a 60 yo.

Walsh looked ok with his back in the last, but he isn't running on top of the ground.

IF he has a back problem, history shows he wouldnt be selected, and he'd be given extra time to get it right, not forced to play and injuring it further with only 5, now 4 games before Finals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
Fatigue ? I don't buy it . Port came off a six day break AND they had to travel ..................

are we really that weak, that a 5 day break, with only one day of training (weds) is the difference between winning or laying down?

also interesting that in the scheduling, we could have a 6 day break after our trip to west coast, should we play on saturday. also, also interesting in the scheduling that none of the other top 6 teams were pencilled in to play last game of the round (sunday twilight) and then back it up on a friday night.

afl scheduling is the most thoughtless, money grabbing bit of bs in all of sports. that's my hot take for the day.

We played 3 games over 14 days, but that's not the issue here. Its the 5 day break and the impact it has on players.

Adelaide to Melbourne flight is 1 hr.20....is nothing. Cats players drive an hour plus to Melbourne without an air steward to pamper to their needs, and they can get up and walk freely, stretch their legs and have a piss in that time. Don't tell Cats fans that. They may have a case.

Flying from Perth to Melbourne is the big issue in travel; more than 3 1/2 hours, and Brizzy is 2 1/2.

The ridiculous 5 day break the AFL brought in for Comemrcial reasons, has been a contentious discussion point between the AFLCA and AFLPA and the the AFL, and reared its ugly head big time after the Bulldogs game where StKilda completely faded in their last quarter after a 5 day turnaround. They've endured 3 i the first half, and they have been impacted badly by it.

One day extra makes a huge difference to sprains, bruising, stiffness... Nobody thinks its reasonable break between games except the AFL. The major point is the stress it has on AFL bodies...not the flight, the 5 days break. There's enough anecdotal evidence that stress on players' bodies from 5 days may be responsible for a lot of soft injuries. That's not my opinion, albeit I see why, but that's a major discussion point around the 5 day break. Plenty of discussion to refer to if you like....just look for reports of games after 5 day breaks. Rarely is it out of the spotlight.

I don't know why you wouldn't believe it. Players carry soreness 7 days after a game, and go into games sore after 7 and 8 days break. Ask Weiters next time you see him.

i know a few players, current and older ... and none of them said a 5 day break was the difference between losing or winning.

i don't have an opinion on it really. but i do believe there has to be parity. if a team is on a 5 day break, the opponent must also be on one (like the first time we played port)

the afl schedule is the most lop-sided, unfair thing ever. imo every team should play once, or twice, but no split schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

Braithy wrote:
if that's true, we're not doing anything in sept, imo. unless we start feeding cerra and carroll peptides intravenously.

which i'm down for.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

i know a few players, current and older ... and none of them said a 5 day break was the difference between losing or winning.

i don't have an opinion on it really. but i do believe there has to be parity. if a team is on a 5 day break, the opponent must also be on one (like the first time we played port)

the afl schedule is the most lop-sided, unfair thing ever. imo every team should play once, or twice, but no split schedule.

The AFL Commission, especially since Demetriou has detroyed the game, on field.

They will tell you the game has never been in a better shape, but that's because rusted on supporters are loyal to their teams, and TV rights give the AFL a Billion dollars to waste on themselves and them trying to make their mark on the game.

No one knows the rules anymore. Umpires constantly make mistakes with the new rules, which change in intepretation on a weekly basis.....have a look what the AFL have done to grass roots footy.

What is a push in the back? What is HTB? What is deliberate OOB? When is ducking not paid? What is prior opp? Why is 3 touches not a mark? Since when? Why are players impeded on illegally after handballing the ball in front of them and not paid free for HTM? Why has Crippa got 2 players holding him and not a free? Why is Pitto paid frees against in the ruck and Briggs and co do the same and its not? What are frees in the ruck for anyway?

No one knows. The game is pharked. The AFL have pharked up Australian Rules and now call it "AFL". The game is not in a better state. Its a boys club. Now that Laura has joined them, its just a jokers entiltled club which lacks transparency.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

I remarked during the game that Cripps was being held (like, a proper hug)at stoppages by an opponent with his back to the play. Didn't get called once. No wonder tagging is back in vogue. Way to make the game exciting, stop the best players being allowed to perform.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

Braithy wrote:
Crusader wrote:

A step up from BigFooty ITK…

Walsh’s back is similar to Clarkson’s regret - is it [REDACTED] again, or still?

He’s been managing it all season.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
I remarked during the game that Cripps was being held (like, a proper hug)at stoppages by an opponent with his back to the play. Didn't get called once. No wonder tagging is back in vogue. Way to make the game exciting, stop the best players being allowed to perform.

I saw it last night. Ive seen that for the last 12 weeks.

I wish there was a show where we could ring in and ask them what the rule is, in the hope it brings it to the attention of umpires and the law of the game. It looks wrong from the outset. I don't know why they are ignoring it, because they are seeing it.

Killing the best players also kills one of the the game's best spectacle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:40 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Pros:

At least we're always in games now, even when our form is poor.
Charlie, Kennedy, Weiters, Cincotta and Cottrell.

Cons:

With all those interstate teams near the top, we've probably blown our chance of getting to the grand final.
One good quarter is not going to do the job against good opposition.
Looks like we've got heavy legs at the moment.
Smashed at centre bounces and stoppages. Midfield was soundly beaten.
Horrible umpiring decision to give Port the lead.
At the moment, too much is expected of Weiters. Kemp is poor at defending in marking duels. McGovern also to a lesser extent.
Not getting anywhere near enough of Cerra.
We obviously missed Harry.
Walsh looks sore.
The end of Cuningham's career.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Crusader wrote:
Braithy wrote:
Crusader wrote:

A step up from BigFooty ITK…

Walsh’s back is similar to Clarkson’s regret - is it [REDACTED] again, or still?

He’s been managing it all season.

he has ... but they're saying it's as good as it's ever going to be for footy. and a 24 game season is impossible for him.

a big shame if even close to true. those 6-7 weeks when he first came back, he looked like the best mid in the comp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

The one positive of the night was that mark by Kennedy. Absolute ripper.

Sent from my moto g54 5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
The one positive of the night was that mark by Kennedy. Absolute ripper.

And the fact that he then kicked it! (our last goal)

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

Yes true

Although the fact it was our last goal wasn't great :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:

I noticed Cripps' opponent with his back to the play. How do 4 umpires not see it when those of us in the crowd do?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:29 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

daggs001 wrote:
We have largely avoided Nathan Williamson all year but last night he paid us back in spades. flower horrible umpire.
The free against George nearly burst my blood vessels.
Than the free against Crippa instead of a HTB ruling in the last was the icing..
:thumbsup:

Rules aren't stuffed, it's the stupid interpretation that the AFL instructs the umps that are stuffed...
Turning in the tackle.. Spare me.... You have to be held first ffs

We looked spent in the second half... Fumbly... Slow... A combination of pressure and fatigue? Hard to say.... But then the dumb decisions started.. Long to 2 on 1, 3 on 1...handball to pressure etc etc

Kennedy worked his guts out... Plays every position on the park... HE should have been umpiring in the second half, clearly they had no one

Cunners... Sad but over.
Carroll wasn't too bad... He's young and will learn... Id love to know if Walsh was calling that he was hot when he was caught HTB

Charlie was a lone wolf up front... but we kept bombing even when he was was nowhere near it...

Kemp went forward... Should have been Gov... But FFS... sit in the square and run out into space... This creates a bigger paddock for Charlie and splits the defenders....

Lots to ponder... Hope some bods are back and we pull the finger out, or this will be ugly.

AND I think we're better at the G.

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

Apologies if this has been answered previously, but in the case of the goal being awarded when the ball hit the goal umpire, is that the only situation when a goal can be scored without the ball crossing the line?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

I didn't know that a goal could be given for an umpire deflecting the ball into a post. Maybe I'm getting confused with soccer, where any and all referee interference with the ball is given as "too bad so sad"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:
I didn't know that a goal could be given for an umpire deflecting the ball into a post. Maybe I'm getting confused with soccer, where any and all referee interference with the ball is given as "too bad so sad"

Nor did I.

I'm sick and tired checking the Laws of the Game...maybe it's in there somewhere???

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

I thought it was LBW.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next